Carnac 2014 - What's this all about?
I’ve been asked to write a few words for anyone wondering what is going on with all this Carnac talk… about 18 months ago a group of us from the Scorpion fleet were down in Lyme for an open, but with winds topping 30knts we got sent to the pub instead of on the water. With gales and rain outside, and beer flowing inside, conversation soon turned to how good it be to have an open meeting somewhere hot and sunny, namely abroad. Memories from the rest of the evening are hazy but that idea still seemed like a good one in the morning so we did some more investigating.
Carnac YC in Brittany offered to host an event over the May bank holiday weekend at the start of school half term in 2014, perfect for all the families and away from the major championships, but they wanted a guaranteed entry. We figured the best way to do this would be to invite a few more classes to join in the fun and having spent a bit of time sitting in the back of Larks during my time at Speed Sails they seemed an obvious choice; a fleet with similar needs both on and off the water, partial to a good social and without an established foreign event already running. The Lark class thought it sounded like a good idea too and so did the Merlins, National 12s and Enterprises.
With Carnac’s minimum already reached everything is now go and we just need everyone who wants to come to sign up now so we can plan everything and then turn up and play next May.
What you need to know:
- Dates – 24th May to 27th May 2014
- Location – Carnac YC, Brittany, France
- Racing – 1 handicap race on the 24th, 6 fleet races 25th – 27th. The handicap race won’t count towards the fleet racing competition so those who can’t get away early on the Friday before don’t need to worry about ruining their series before it’s begun.
- Socials – currently in planning still but there will be a full programme and also hopefully some events for during the day for the shore party.
- Getting there – We are currently talking to the ferry companies about a possible discount – keep an eye on the website for more info. Most will look to go from either Dover or Portsmouth with Calais, Le Havre, Caen and St Malo all handy options for getting to Carnac.
- Accommodation – It is a popular resort so book early if you can, Carnac Plage is the place to be rather than the main town. We have a discount at a local campsite and there are some useful links on the event website.
- Cost - £20 + €180. The £20 goes to covering costs here like socials, t-shirts, prizes. The €180 goes directly to Carnac YC and covers all the on the water side of things, free drinks at the reception and prize giving and a free meal.
A quick plea - the sooner you enter the better, unlike other events where past history can tell you what sort of numbers to plan for this hasn’t been done before, so please do it now if you can. We are already approaching 40 boats and the sooner we know who else is coming the better we can make the event.
More information, details on how to enter, the NOR and all other updates are available online at Carnac2014.org or feel free to email me – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tom Jeffcoate - 02nd November 2013