without spinnaker yardstick

Andy Spencer

Posted: 06 May 19 16:53
Message ID: 2652
Hi. Can anyone help?
I purchased a old lark last year (SN 2266) which me and my son handicap club race, as we are new to sailing we have learnt a lot and had some great fun as well.
Recently we have started making our way up the fleet and the result sheet but when the results are calculated
we slide back down again.
Then in occurred to me the boat doesn't have a spinnaker.
So my question is does anyone now of a PY number for a lark racing without spinnaker?

Garry Packer

Posted: 20 May 19 19:51
Reply ID: 6847
There isn't an official PN for no spinnaker on the Lark. Nothing in the PY rules prohibits your club for making a decision on a suitable handicap for no spinnaker. If I was asked (I do the Wednesday evening series results at BCYC and set the personal handicap for a fun series we run) I'd go for between 1099 (same as Laser) and 1119 (Enterprise) as a starting point.

The other options is to rig the boat with a spinnaker and have more fun downwind. I suspect there's a few oldish spinnies out there you could pick up cheap.

Andy Spencer

Posted: 21 May 19 16:07
Reply ID: 6848
Thank you Garry.
I'll put it to club committee and see what happens.
I.m also in the process of getting a spinnaker rigged.
The reservoir we sail on is only small at 27 acres so the courses that are set tend to involve a lot bouy rounding and most people with spinnaker don't bother with them on race days .

Andy Spencer

Posted: 21 May 19 16:23
Reply ID: 6849
Thank you Garry.
I'll put it to club committee and see what happens.
I.m also in the process of getting a spinnaker rigged.
The reservoir we sail on is only small at 27 acres so the courses that are set tend to involve a lot bouy rounding and most people with spinnaker don't bother with them on race days .

Garry Packer

Posted: 23 May 19 17:32
Reply ID: 6850
Big gains to be made if you can get kite up quickly then. Frensham pond is small with lots of mark rounding but spinnakers still being used. Good luck. If most spinnaker boats aren’t using spinnakers club committee may not want to open up a debate about all classes having no spinnaker handicaps.