Discussion Forum

Original Subject Posting

Re con Baker No 21
Date Posted: 18 Jan 13 19:31
Hi
Just a little post about an old girl if anyone reads this :)
At 37 and not sailed a dinghy for 14 years I found No 21 Baker lark sat on a driveway near where I live and took pity. Bought her and am commencing to get her sea worth again (still a great figure for her age). Bouyancy tanks need a little TLC but not to bad. Can't believe it comes with the original sails inc spinnaker. Pictures to follow from how I found here to shipshape and Bristol fashion. Just thought the class members would like to see an original sailing again.
Thanks for reading ;)
Author: Michael Brown

Message ID: 2280

Replies to this subject

Re con Baker No 21
Date Posted: 20 Jan 13 08:55
Hi Michael,
If you need any encouragement, I pulled my old Baker 781 out of the field it has been rotting in for the last 18 months (since buying a newer Lark) and have been reconditioning it also. It definitely isn't worth it financially but it's very satisfying! 
Author: Andrew Hunter

Reply ID: 6399

Re con Baker No 21
Date Posted: 23 Jan 13 21:57
Hello Andrew
The old girl is in really good shape, and only needs tape and resin to make the bouyancy tanks water tight, I would love to sail her at an open meeting, with original sails and just see where she would finish! I used to sail for Lancashire when I was 18, and won the NSSA regatta in a Wayfarer. Not raced since then but would love to put a 40 year + boat against some new models. I live on Anglesey now, is there any meets near here this year??
Thanks  
Author: Michael Brown

Reply ID: 6400

Re con Baker No 21
Date Posted: 24 Jan 13 19:55
Hi Michael,
To be honest I only usually sail at my local club which is on Lake Coniston in Cumbria. We race fairly regularly in our Parker Mk2 (2356) and it is notably more competitive than the old Baker probably for numerous reasons not least of which being its weight. I am led to believe however that there are some very competitive Bakers still around and being raced.
With regards to events near you, I just had a quick look on the fixtures list and I should imagine the 24hr race at Southport is the nearest. I have never entered but I usually go down to spectate and it is a very friendly and busy event with a sprinkling of Larks (including Bakers) often competing.
I am sure there are many members of the class better qualified than me to advise however.
Best of luck with the boat.
Andrew. 
Author: Andrew Hunter

Reply ID: 6401

© 2013 Lark Class Owners Association