Discussion Forum

Original Subject Posting

Rig for pleasure sailing
Date Posted: 02 Nov 12 18:46
A friend and I have just bought a Parker Lark sail number 2176. We have both sailed before but are at the stage where we do not want to race but want an interesting but reasonably dry sail. lots of advice out there about setting the boat up for racing but we would be interested in any advice setting it up for pleasure sailing, simplifying the rig, smaller main, heavier centre board???? etc. Any suggestions
Author: Les Brooks

Message ID: 2250

Replies to this subject

Rig for pleasure sailing
Date Posted: 05 Nov 12 17:48
Set up for cruising is pretty much the same as for racing. You might want to omit the spinnaker rigging. Having effect control of the rig makes sailing so much easier.

Not worth the effort of putting in a heavier centreboard.

You could consider getting a cut down main for easier sailing in strong winds.

Garry 
Author: Garry Packer

Reply ID: 6363

Rig for pleasure sailing
Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 17:42
Saw you were looking for a cut down main in classifieds. If you're not successful you could try an old mirror or cadet sail, both should work.

Garry 
Author: Garry Packer

Reply ID: 6376

Rig for pleasure sailing
Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 21:15
Hi Les,
I have 2138 at Hornsea. I've just bought a really grotty old mainsail for 15 on eBay, which I'm going to cut down over the winter.
I had been looking for a Mirror main, but they all went for silly prices while I was looking.
I agree with the rig for racing gives you more control, you just don't need to push it.
See you on the Mere.
John 
Author: John Knowles

Reply ID: 6377

© 2013 Lark Class Owners Association