Discussion Forum

Original Subject Posting

24Hour Race
Date Posted: 02 Sep 12 12:18
The West Lancs 24 Hour Race is just around the corner, taking place on 15th & 16th September. Its a crackin' event with plenty going on, both on and off the water, with a full-on drinks tent and party atmosphere. It must be good - it's in its 46th Year!

It's always a well supported event, especially from the Midland clubs, so if you want to get involved why not use this forum post.
Author: Daniel Watson

Message ID: 2238

Replies to this subject

24Hour Race
Date Posted: 03 Sep 12 08:07
Rebecca and I are hoping to go but have not yet sorted anything out in terms of either joining a team or entering our own. Anyone else wanting to go or needing extra sailors for there teams? 
Author: Tim Vick

Reply ID: 6289

24Hour Race
Date Posted: 12 Sep 12 13:29
My understanding is that Lark entries may be down this year, particularly from clubs that usually enter one!

If so, it's a real shame as it is a good window to advertise the class.

I will be there with some kit (Seonaid has got herself a sail in a GP team) and have no great desire to sail but of needs must.....................

cheers

Dave  
Author: David Young

Reply ID: 6307

24Hour Race
Date Posted: 12 Sep 12 14:27
Hi Dave,

I think we have sorted a team but due to so many of the team not being Larkies or even really knowing how to fly a kite we have decided to take an enterprise.

You are the only person who has said that they would like (well I guess you didn't say like, maybe willing) to sail despite asking several Lark sailors.

Is it that the 24hr race is a dying event, or one that the lark just isn't really suitable for with the lark amount of weed present and Larks large rudders? 
Author: Tim Vick

Reply ID: 6309

24Hour Race
Date Posted: 13 Sep 12 12:08
Hi Tim,

I think the major issue is that most Larkies live in the south and it's a long way to travel, and it can be expensive to put a team together.I also think that the interest generated when the Lark was first adopted at the 24hr race has been lost.

I have to admit that having won the event in both Lark and GP, like everything it depends on conditions - just ask any Ent sailor! The weed is not an issue (South Staffs had a short, lifting rudder and short centreboard)and the handicap is favourable for a well sailed Lark provided the wind is below 'howling'.

I am not grumbling (I much prefer sitting on the bank for 24hrs now a days!)but it is a shame that the class put a lot of effort in a few years ago to get the Lark adopted by West Lancs!

cheers

Dave

Reply ID: 6310

24Hour Race
Date Posted: 17 Sep 12 07:09
1 Lark entry this year - sailed well and seemed to enjoy themselves. Well done who ever you were. 

Reply ID: 6313

© 2013 Lark Class Owners Association