Discussion Forum

Original Subject Posting

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 31 Aug 12 20:03
Hi everyone, as you know we just had our first PzSc Lark open meeting and it was enjoyed by all. However, out of curiosity and for ideas as I embark on the mammoth task of organising the 2013 fixtures, I would like to know what would encourage more Larks to attend an open meeting in Penzance. I understand the distance is often an issue but with superb sailing, excellent socials and cheap accomodation Penzance is a great venue. So as fixtures secretary what can I do to tempt more sailors to the South West? Please discuss...
Author: Laura Mitchell

Message ID: 2237

Replies to this subject

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 01 Sep 12 07:29
Hiya Laura,
apart from free beer my thoughts are to have a one day open on the saturday after Rock. With a big social sat evening. Simply attractive to drive down the road thirty miles for the mass. We enjoyed Shustoke and South Staffs big weekend. Two clubs, 6 races and a night out in Wolverhampton!
Also Kate and Karen said about a long distance race? Maybe a seperate race say Newlyn to Mousehole around the Mount and finish at Pz.
The Magnificent Mark 
Author: Mark Chadwick

Reply ID: 6286

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 01 Sep 12 11:28
A one day event sounds ideal after Rock but it relies on everyone staying in Rock for the week and for Teachers especially that's something we can't do. Then it makes the open too far to travel for just one day.
I like the long distance race though, thats something we can discuss with the club.  
Author: Laura Mitchell

Reply ID: 6287

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 03 Sep 12 14:27
It's all about timing and here you were unlucky. Lark open attendances are always lower in August. Personally, I would have gone if I wasn't on holiday.

People are more likely to travel further if it is in the run-up to the Nationals - to get some sea practice. However, I would be unlikely to go a week after Rock, as I cannot stay the week.

So I think your best timing would be before the Nationals - say June/early July. Failing that, October can be good and it could give a focus to the Autumn, although you probably couldn't run both Plymouth and Penzance in the same Autumn (but Exmouth works well in July).

It needs to be 2 days not one, otherwise it is an even worse ratio of hours in the car to hours sailing!

If you would like some advice on what has worked in the past, I'm happy to talk it through!

Nigel
07870 591511

Author: Nigel Hufton

Reply ID: 6290

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 04 Sep 12 22:16
We have tentatively talked about the 15/16 June tonight at the club. This would be combined with other fleets if it was to go ahead. (Ents and Mirrors) However the other classes would only sail 1 day I think. If we are to argue in favour of a single class event, I think the club would need some reassurance of popularity and numbers. So what do you guys think? A little feedback would be greatly appreciated, both about the date and the feeling towards a mixed class weekend.
Nigel if it's ok I'll take you up on the offer of advice and give you a call in the next day or two. 
Author: Daniel Sell

Reply ID: 6291

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 05 Sep 12 07:42
What about the second May bank holiday? The 25th to the 27th of May? or is that still too close to Rock? 
Author: Tim Vick

Reply ID: 6292

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 05 Sep 12 16:47
Tim, it's not to close to Rock for us at PZ, it's whether it is for the those of you that will need to travel. Again, any input is much appreciated. 

Reply ID: 6293

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 05 Sep 12 17:16
The pressure is on at Pz SC to fix a date, and thats putting it nicely. Also if we can fix a date we can get everything organised.
If you guys think something say it. Please help Kat Dan & Laura out here even if its negative.....
We hope to have six pz boats in our open 2013 and I would prefer it to be seperate to the Mirrors Lazers and Enterprises
What are the dates for Rock? and yes we can arrange safe parking of boats at Hayle if people would like to leave their boats after Rock.
The Bank holiday after Rock seems good to me.
Mark 

Reply ID: 6294

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 06 Sep 12 15:23
Tagging it onto Rock would be a big mistake, and I agree that timing was the issue this year. The early Nationals this year also seems to have prematurely killed the season and that's a lesson to bank for future.

Penzance has the potential to be another Rock but would take time to build up, a Bank Hol date would give alot of options. 
Author: Chris Biglin

Reply ID: 6295

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 06 Sep 12 18:16
Well the second may bank holiday gets my vote, but please make it a 3 day event to boost the sailing:driving ratio. 
Author: Steve Chatten

Reply ID: 6296

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 07 Sep 12 16:55
The second bank holiday in May seems to be the best option so far. The advice is that a sea event in the lead up to the nationals is a good idea. Seems sensible. Also bank holidays are limited in 2013 so the only option to fill those criteria is that weekend. We'll try for a three day event, but I'm not hopeful we'll get it. There is always the option of spending monday on one of the amazing beaches very close by.
Thanks for the feedback. More is welcome. 

Reply ID: 6298

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 07 Sep 12 17:17
I would agree that a bank holiday would be the best option because for a number of lark sailors, Penzance is rather a long drive.
However, I believe next year the plan is for a trip to carnac that weekend and it would be a shame for either event to suffer by having a clash so I suggest you avoid that weekend, for next year at least. 
Author: Eluned Stewart

Reply ID: 6299

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 07 Sep 12 18:33
Carnac is 2014 I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Reply ID: 6300

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 07 Sep 12 19:22
Yes, you are correct! 
Author: Eluned Stewart

Reply ID: 6301

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 07 Sep 12 20:21
The May bank holiday looks favourite for 2013. We are thinking about the French trip in 2014 as well.
How about the usual Lark open meeting on the Saturday and sunday.
Band and Club Party on the Sunday evening.
And a long distance race on the Monday, Start Penzance -Newlyn -Mousehole Island- St. Michals Mount finish at Penzance club. A challenging sail! This could have the club fleets included on staggerred starts which would be great for the people who helped at the open getting a race on the monday. 

Reply ID: 6302

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 08 Sep 12 16:31
I think it needs to be a 3 day event in order to make it really attractive. However, I'm not getting particularly excited about a long distance race... 
Author: Steve Chatten

Reply ID: 6303

Penzance Open 2013
Date Posted: 16 Sep 12 21:56
Dont say it .....the girls can go better longer. Actually thought Steve and Helen were going to pop behind the Mount between races

Reply ID: 6312

© 2013 Lark Class Owners Association