Discussion Forum

Original Subject Posting

Mainsheet
Date Posted: 29 Jul 12 16:58
I have just bought an old Lark and the mainsheet is rigged at the end of the boom to the stern. Is this normal or should it be rigged to the centre board housing? Also how should the sheet be set up as I don't have the sheet.

Thanks

Austin
Author: Austin Maude

Message ID: 2229

Replies to this subject

Mainsheet
Date Posted: 30 Jul 12 12:21
Rear mainsheets are no longer used in Larks. I sailed one once and kept being pulled to the back. Moreover, you have to look backwards when tacking/gybing, which is a bad idea in a blow in a Lark.

I suggest you look closely at photo's on this site for how to rig a centremain. There are 3 options. 1. Most popular is a central "bridle" where the sheet goes from hand, around a central rachet blockfixed through the centre plate capping, up to the boom, down to a pulley centrally attached to two lines attached either side of the rear thwart and back to the boom. 2. Some return again to the bridle pulley for an extra purchase (= more sheet in the boat). 3. The other option is from hand to centre rachet, up to boom pulley, along boom to pulley at the rear end of the boom where it then splits to attach through side decks at the rear corners. Loads are similar to 1.
Chris 
Author: Chris Fish

Reply ID: 6255

Mainsheet
Date Posted: 31 Jul 12 16:05
Many thanks Chris. I will check it out.

Austin 
Author: Austin Maude

Reply ID: 6262

© 2013 Lark Class Owners Association