Discussion Forum

Original Subject Posting

Main Halyard
Date Posted: 07 Jun 12 16:39
Hi
Unfortunately during a great sail in 2365 the main halyard snapped so now we need to go about replacing and we have a few queries:
How long does the halyard need to be and which rope is best?
Any tricks for rethreading it through the mast?
Cheers
Harry
Author: Harry Forbes

Message ID: 2207

Replies to this subject

Main Halyard
Date Posted: 08 Jun 12 09:37
A lark mast is 21 feet long so 14m will make you a halyard.

It must obviously be something that won't stretch (although some "settle" a little initially) and its wise to make it a bit overlength so that you can cut bits off the top occasionally to give a new bit of rope for the cleat to grip. I lost track of the names of rope years ago so couldn't recommend anything specific. Speak to our Jane at P&B, she'll know the best stuff.

I borrowed Garry's electricians' pull through set (screw together "tent poles" with a hook on the end) at Brid and it was so brilliant that I bought one. Make sure that you pull the other halyards etc tight while you are doing it so that they stay out of the way. 
Author: Chris Biglin

Reply ID: 6219

Main Halyard
Date Posted: 11 Jun 12 11:01
See http://www.screwfix.com/p/cable-access-kit-10m/82483

Was only about 15 when I bought them (now 25)so may be possible to get them cheaper on ebay / amazon. 
Author: Garry Packer

Reply ID: 6221

Main Halyard
Date Posted: 14 Jun 12 13:40
We used to climb a tree in the club car-park and then use a bit of whipping twine with the chain from the changing room plugs attached to it. Garry's kit sounds better, but ours was free.

I think I may have also given away the secret of why none of the basins at Starcross YC had plugs in the 1990s..... 
Author: Michael John

Reply ID: 6223

Main Halyard
Date Posted: 17 Jun 12 08:50
A pair of small magnets works very well. With the boat lying on its side pulling the inner magnet and twine along the top surface of the mast guarantees there are no crossed ropes as the halyards lay in the bottom.  
Author: Paul Roe

Reply ID: 6227

© 2013 Lark Class Owners Association