Discussion Forum

Original Subject Posting

Swamped
Date Posted: 20 Sep 04 12:29
I had a small problm at the weekend with my old Parker Lark (248). We had a bit of a spill and went for a swim :)

This is when the fun started :(

We got back in the boat with little trouble but were unable to clear the water. We seemed to be so low in the water that more came in than went out. In the end I had to jetison the crew :) thanks to our safty boat he didn't have to swim to the shore. A bit of bailing and I was fine again, minus my crew.

Is this an issue with older Larks? Or are we simply over weight (we are pushing 30st).

Any advice would be good....... We are already on a diet :-o

Author: Matt

Message ID: 191

Replies to this subject

Swamped
Date Posted: 20 Sep 04 01:17
Larks do seem to make good paddling pools! Having ended up with the transom under water a few times the key is to sail off on a run or reach and get enough speed to get the self balers working properly. Don't expect to have much control with all that water weight on board and keep the centreplate down for stability.
Make sure your transom flaps can open up properly - having an elastic loop to hold them shut which can be quickly released is fine, but duck taping them shut means you won't get them open when they are most needed.
Keep the weight well forward and have a practice capsize or two at the club with a safety boat to hand.
If you get dsperate how about stowing a big collapsible bucket for such occasions? - try the yottie chandleries. 
Author: Paddler

Reply ID: 501

Swamped
Date Posted: 20 Sep 04 01:26
the diet should do it... 
Author:

Reply ID: 502

Swamped
Date Posted: 21 Sep 04 04:57
Thought it was just mine that was low in the water!

I do have a big bucket for the occasion. Seemed a bit pointless as more was comming in over the sides than we could bail. We did chuckle though.

The self bailers were going well but the volume of water just left them overwhelmed.

The drainage flaps on the back are on a bit of elastic. I thought the elastic was supposed to give the back bailers just enouph tension to keep then closed when the boat was dry, then when it was full I thought it would bail with the elastic still on.

Would you advise us to release the elastic and open them up on the run ??

All things considered the diet is still on :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Matt 
Author: Matt

Reply ID: 515

Swamped
Date Posted: 22 Sep 04 07:34
We open the flaps, bear away to a broadish reach and then move back to trim the boat so that the water is just still flowing out and the centreboard case is above the waterline. Doesn't take long in a reasonable wind to get down to 2-3 inchs in the bottom. We then close the flaps, put the self bailers down and get back in the race. 
Author:

Reply ID: 517

Swamped
Date Posted: 22 Sep 04 05:23
Hi,
We also had this problem from time to time at soutport, and is a perminant problem with the rest of our fleet.
After trying to empty the boat using the self bailers and flaps on the fast runs and reaches at southport, we only succeded once to empty the boat (in four laps). in the end we had to pull the boat out in the pits and gaffer tape up the flaps - we found that the self bailers did a great job, but the flaps were useless.
This is odd concidering the speeds we were going should have ment the flaps worked fine, but once we sealed them up all was fine, and we had a great race. 
Author: Ben - lancaster uni

Reply ID: 521

© 2013 Lark Class Owners Association