Discussion Forum

Original Subject Posting

A Bit Tippy
Date Posted: 12 Sep 04 11:34
I am considering buying a Lark to sail with my sons and possibly for my sons to sail on their own (currently 14 and 13). I have spoken to a few people and have been told that Larks are "a bit tippy".

I am trying to get a bit more idea what that means - the most similar boat I have sailed is a 420 - how does it compare with that.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Russell
Author: Russell

Message ID: 177

Replies to this subject

A Bit Tippy
Date Posted: 13 Sep 04 10:57
Tippier.

Larks are a bit tippy for beginners but no problem for anyone that already sails. 
Author:

Reply ID: 483

A Bit Tippy
Date Posted: 13 Sep 04 12:42
They can be a bit rolly down wind but if you are able to play the kite sheet and guy simultaneously then you shouldn't have a problem. It just takes a little practice. 
Author:

Reply ID: 484

A Bit Tippy
Date Posted: 13 Sep 04 01:31
A 420 is more forgiving downwind (less likely to roll about) and is underpowered upwind. In a Lark, (upwind) you will find you need to depower the rig in lower wind conditions and as a rule will be fully hiked upwind in a force 3 or more. Larks are more responsive and turn quicker. Larks are quicker in lighter conditions but 420s have more pace in a blow when they're less underpowered - the hendicaps are similar. Two teenagers should find the Lark exciting and interesting. Optimum weight range is 19.5-23stone. It is probably more suited to restricted water than a 420 due to its responsiveness. As your teenagers get older they should find the Lark social scene fun if they end up going to events. 
Author: Mark Ampleford

Reply ID: 486

A Bit Tippy
Date Posted: 13 Sep 04 01:58
Those in our club who say Larks are tippy are generally the Laser sailors who forgot to put the centreboard down for stability on the jetty! They're just anti Lark because they get beaten.
I've also seen them gobsmacked when the Lark has been the only boat upright in a blow so ignore them and go for a Lark.

Author:

Reply ID: 488

A Bit Tippy
Date Posted: 13 Sep 04 05:18
I agree with Mark, generally I have no problems (other than speed) sailing with my son. The're not as forgiving as boats like the Enterprise or GP but more forgiving than a Laser! As long as we remember to control the rate of turn and balance we have no real problems until F5. My son also sails our Lark with friends and only really has problems because they don't have the weight to keep it flat when the wind picks up. With the centreboard down compared with a laser I would say the laser was the tippier boat. 
Author: Garry

Reply ID: 489

A Bit Tippy
Date Posted: 20 Sep 04 04:55
Many thanks for the advice.

I have taken the plunge and bought Lark No 42.

I'm now hoping for some lighter winds for the first outing - I'm also starting a list of questions.

Once again thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Russell 
Author: Russell

Reply ID: 505

© 2013 Lark Class Owners Association