Discussion Forum

Original Subject Posting

Fishy Fingers floats...just
Date Posted: 12 Jul 04 09:31
2494 a.k.a. Fishy Fingers (my bro's suggestion) was launched amidst great pomp and fanfare...ok ok Helena splashed some grape juice over her because we forgot the champagne and the trumpet was a paper cone I made on the spot but float she did.

Trouble is there are two weeks to Torquay and I really haven't got a clue about the rig set up, let alone sail her. Has anyone got some fast figures and/or tips they'd care to share, please?

Do you just have to be extra careful not to keelhaul the kite when dropping it or is it just me?

thanks

CF
Author: Chris Fish

Message ID: 130

Replies to this subject

Date Posted: 12 Jul 04 10:50
Keel hauled the kite did you, glad it's not just me then!

I did 'fishy's elder sister last week (2495) with the benefit of 2488 to copy. First float was at Weymouth in time for the first race, and the front bailer leaked like a sieve as Rond*r had neglected to tighten the bolts. Ben and Will were test pilots and in a F4 plus proved that the bouyancy was OK yet returned to fight another day.

I can give you measurements that work balance wise, am using the standard moulded c/b bolt position and the setup is fairly standard among Rondars (excluding those that move the c/b bolt and step the mast as near the thwart as possible - no names mentioned Simon).

It is important to measure from a secure reference point as there are differences between Rondar hulls regarding the position of the deck and c/b capping mouldings. You need to use either the transom or the back of the c/b case as a datum as these are fixed by the hull mould.

rear of mast heel to rear of c/b case 1490mm (to the point it starts to narrow)
c/b bolt to the same datum is 1085mm on 2495 (3mm more on 2488)

Mast rake (tape on haliard) to the top of the 'lump' on the transom is 6650 - 6670mm with tension on.

If anyone else has time to measure it would be interesting to see the numbers.

Chris

Author: Chris

Reply ID: 339

Date Posted: 13 Jul 04 12:12
Downhaul should go outside the sail and slack retrieved before releasing halyard. Also helps if pole brought back slightly and crew tightens sheet at critical moment. 
Author: Garry

Reply ID: 342

Date Posted: 13 Jul 04 04:29
The big thing I noticed when moving into the new boat was the change in "feel" between them. Upwind it was hard to tell when the boat was moving nicely or when it was dogging and the kicker needed slackening. Time spent two boating before each race helped me get a feel for that. Downwind feel took me a lot longer to get the hang off (well actually I'm still working on that) but I was never any good at that anyhow. Settings all written on my boat which is at Lee's place but they are the same as when Nigel published measurements taken at Looe nationals. I'm not a big bimbler... 
Author: Mark Ampleford

Reply ID: 348

Date Posted: 13 Jul 04 06:50
I have dropped the kite sheets under the boat more times than I care to mention in the new boat after not having managed it more than a couple of times in years. Our bow fitting is right on the front - Matt White's seems better as it is inside the bow and so there is a little lip like the Parkers. Doesn't make a difference if you take in the slack on the halyard I don't think as Dougal releases it and I drop it. Only cure I have found is to put the leeward twinning line on as you drop.

Nigel Hufton is worth copying settings wise at the moment - they are going like a rocket! 
Author: Ruth

Reply ID: 349

Date Posted: 13 Jul 04 09:04
I was admiring Matt's bow fitting too, it also keeps the sharp bits nicely out of the way. Will be cribbed methinks.

Hope you learn faster than we did - we kept tipping it over.

Planning any interesting graphics for the name?? (would make a good comp for Lark News!)

Author: Chris

Reply ID: 351

Date Posted: 13 Jul 04 11:15
Chris,

A bit of a 11th hour job but well done.

1st the bad news. Steve Fisher's old boat (2357?) was called Fishy Fingers!

The good news is that it is possible to prevent the keel hauling problem - drop the kite as quickly as is humanly possible. Needless to say we keel hauled the kite twice last weekend!!! Removing all friction in the halyard can help. We find that the problem only happens when you do a slow drop and that includes the crew getting the pole off quick.

See you at the nats.

Cheers,
Si

ps. Can I have the Easter Egg results please!!!! 
Author: SImon

Reply ID: 352

Date Posted: 14 Jul 04 11:32
well it will just have to be called
'fishy fingers too'

Author: hmmm

Reply ID: 355

Date Posted: 15 Jul 04 12:52
Or just 'FANNY' ?! 
Author: Naughty

Reply ID: 357

Date Posted: 15 Jul 04 02:30
fishy flaps 
Author: naughtier

Reply ID: 358

Date Posted: 19 Jul 04 09:58
thats soooo rude! (But also, highly amusing) - I have to crew the thing for a week and that name will just be so shameful! haha 
Author: Bex

Reply ID: 364

Date Posted: 20 Jul 04 09:11
When I sailed in Plymouth I had a fried with a GP called 'Knickerless Too' but I guess thats a bit tame nowadays! 
Author: Garry

Reply ID: 366

Date Posted: 21 Jul 04 02:38
I trust the name will be displayed prominently on the side. 
Author:

Reply ID: 374

Date Posted: 22 Jul 04 09:23
Imagine the potential graphics!! 
Author:

Reply ID: 375

© 2013 Lark Class Owners Association